[Dshield] cidaemon.exe and Road Runner intrusions (Zeev Shilor)

Taps Taps at Iniquity.Org
Sun Aug 12 20:36:19 GMT 2001

<ORIGINAL>
In the last few days Road Runner or one of his customers has been
scanning my computer, trying to connect to cidaemon.exe service running
on Windows XP. This application is a part of XP operating system, named
as "Indexing Service filter daemon" and is automatically activated on
start-up. I have noticed that 2 cidaemon processes, owned by SYSTEM, are
always running simultaneously.
Can anyone provide me a better idea of:
1. Why would RR be interested in this application?
2. How can I deactivate this processes?
3. What is the price of deactivation this processes?
</ORIGINAL>

To get rid of those two services quickly and completely... Just
uninstall the Indexing Services.

As to why RR would be trying to scan your machine or use it in any way
is beyond me.  Possibly, they are trying to scan for vulnerabilities of
their client machines.  But I would be wary of anyone you didn't know
scanning the machine.

[ Taps
- Taps at Iniquity.Org
: Http://Www.Iniquity.Org
{ 191618
A"What spirit is so empty and blind, that it cannot recognize the fact
that the foot is more noble than the shoe, and skin more beautiful than
the garment with which it is clothed?" -- Michaelangelo