[Dshield] SNORT

Mel Chandler PMI MChandler at pmi.delta.org
Mon Aug 13 17:35:39 GMT 2001

I'm new to Linux and SNORT and was wondering if I could get some tips
and/or help.  I have installed SNORT v1.8 rpm on Red Hat 7.1, when it
complained about missing a file, which I believe was the rules file, I
just supplied it with a blank file.  I'm not sure if there are some sort
of rules I need to download or if it updates them itself.  I've been
seeing a lot of activity (80-90% ARP Broadcasts), but so far SNORT reports
no activity.  Is there a way to test it and ensure it is working ok.
Also, is there some where I show get updated rules from?  I kept clicking
on links on the website for rules, but came to the download page and
couldn't find anything.  Any help would be great.

Mel L. Chandler, A+, Network+, MCNE, MCDBA, MCSE+I, CCNA
MChandler at PMI.Delta.org
Network Analyst
Information Services
PMI Delta Dental
(562) 467-6627
= not many animals were harmed in =
= ..... the making of this email ........ =