[Dshield] Re: Dshield digest, Vol 1 #217 - 13 msgs

Ken McKinlay ken.mckinlay at dy4.com
Fri Aug 24 13:47:43 GMT 2001

In reference to Miroslaw's comments, does "Code Red" ring a bell with
regards to "The security whole[sic] is well known...".

Just because a security vulnerability is well known and/or publicized does
not mean that people actually fix the problem on their systems. Many systems
exposed on the Internet are run in a "fire & forget" mode by people that do
not have system and security administration backgrounds.

Although the responsibility of maintaining those systems is still in the
owner's hands, I think it is also our responsibility as "good neighbours" to
report those incidents that we detect to the appropriate parties.

Ken McKinlay, GCIA
Network Security
Dy 4 Systems
613-599-9199 x506