[Dshield] Re: Dshield digest, Vol 1 #221 - 10 msgs

Stephen L Fowler slfowler at visto.com
Sat Aug 25 17:13:05 GMT 2001

Understand it is pretty good setup tool.  It is not actually a firewall, but uses linux's iptables to configure a firewall on your machine.  Requires kernel 2.4.4 and iptables 1.2.1a or better.

If you're loking for a standalone firewall, something not running on your main machine, I can recommend SmoothWall.  It is also linux based, 2.2.19 kernel and ipchains.  Comes with a web frontend, snort ids, squid web proxy, etc.  Current stable version is 0.9.8 with 0.9.9 undergoing beta testing.  Stable release is slated for Aug 27th.  http://www.smoothwall.org/gpl

SteveF

{snip]
> From: "Dan Crooks" <dcrooks at succeed.net>
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 20:09:04 -0700