[Dshield] password cracking attempt

Steve Mainwaring SteveMainwaring at matthewclark.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 16:11:57 GMT 2001

On the weekend I received thousands of hits from various european and asian
domains. Each were using a password cracking submitter program to try and
gain access to a members area I have on the website.

Log file shows that one IP address tried logging on with username HTTP but
503 different passwords.

a) Why me? do they go around looking for sites with password protected areas
and pass the website onto other crackers to share the load?

b) What can I do to prevent this or to limit damage?

It seems the only damage done is that the server slows down a bit.

the system manager.