[Dshield] Earthlink access to SMTP server

Johannes B. Ullrich euclidian at euclidian.com
Mon Jul 2 17:06:43 GMT 2001

  Earthlink implemented a new policy, under which it
blocks all outgoing SMTP connections (port 25).

  Some of our clients recommend using the DShield
mail server (mail.dshield.org) to send mail to
dshield. This will no longer work. Please use the
SMTP server assigned to you by Earthlink. (call
Earthlink support if you need details).

  On a similar note: Verzion does no longer allow you
to use your own domain within your e-mails 'From' header.
You may use mail.dshield.org as your mail server to
keep the match between e-mail from address and userid
intakt, in case you are using your own domain. I don't
think Verizon blocks port 25 so far.

  These measures are mostly taken to avoid users from
sending spam. I do not know how much commercial accounts
are effected.

---
Johannes Ullrich            Join http://www.dshield.org
jullrich at sans.org