[Dshield] How to ask someone's ISP to investigate

Neil Richardson pc_freak at cats.ucsc.edu
Fri Jul 13 17:22:34 GMT 2001

Hello.

At 05:17 PM 7/12/2001, you wrote:
>Just use the DShield Fightback ;-) . The form letter we use:
>(I also have a Korean version I will put in service soon).

[snip]

    I think that DShield is a great idea, and Fightback an excellent
extension of that idea, but I'm a bit confused as to what criteria are used
to select a candidate to receive a complaint: I've received DShield
Fightback notifications where "A total of 3 records in dshield's database
implicate this IP address."  Now, don't get me wrong, ISP notifications are
(IMHO) a great idea, but it seems that if we're sending out messages about
machines that only have three entries, we could be generating a lot of
"noise" that will make us more likely to be ignored when we actually have
something big to report.  Or are these reports generated manually by people
clicking on the fightback icon (I think that's how it works)?

-Neil R.