[Dshield] adsl and 2 pcs

Steve Mainwaring SteveMainwaring at matthewclark.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 11:35:56 GMT 2001

Hey guys, I dont have ADSL installed yet. Just using Modem which I'm happy
is secure, but when I have ADSL  just worried about always being on. Here is
the setup I will have:

Internet PC:
ADSL into USB port.
Zonealarm and Virus checker.
Network Card (RJ45 not BNC! 100M Full Duplex) connected to Data PC using
Netbeui.
All drives on Internet PC are set for sharing and have a password. This is
to allow data PC to read/write to it.
Have run Steve Gibsons port scans to ensure I dont have IP over Netbios
enabled.

Data PC:
Network Card (RJ45) with cross over cable to Internet PC - no hub. Using
Netbeui as above to allow access to Internet PC. This PC is not set up for
file sharing - I only want to read and write to Internet PC. Dont want
Internet PC or anyone else to have access to Data PC.

How does that sound? Is it overkill to have virus checker and firewall on
Data PC? I need it to be slim as possible for speed and reliability.

Some one said about rebooting the data PC may cause problems? I dont want to
keep it on all day and do indeed boot to MSDOS mode often.

the system manager.