[Dshield] Anti Subseven Server

Johannes B. Ullrich jullrich at euclidian.com
Tue Jul 24 03:04:56 GMT 2001

I haven't used the program. It looks somewhat 'legit'. However, your
suspicious is warranted. Software like this, recommended over IRC,
is often a trojan itself. I just ran across a file called 'easyspeed'
which was advertised to increase your download speed, but was actually
a trojan...

There is another aspect to this as well. Most 'subseven' scans are
performed by automated tools. E.g. the 'Leaves Worm' that caused
a stire a couple weeks ago was spread that way. Talking to the
intruder in this case will not do much good. Even worse. If you run
into a hacker, you make your system even more interesting. Also,
while the program may not be malicous by itself, it could have
faults that may open up your computer.

Install a firewall and a virus scanner to keep your system out of
trouble. Other than that, there isn't too much you can do :-( .