[Dshield] incoming traffic from 192.168.0.1 ????

Billy Becker Billy.Becker at isd-corp.com
Fri Jul 27 02:56:52 GMT 2001

These packets are most likely accidental connections from clueless windows
users somewhere else on your ISP. I say this because they are all looking
for port 137, and becuase of the 169.254.XXX.XXX addresses. I'm not sure
what kind of firewalling you can do on your little router, but see if you
can set it up to block all of the nonroutable addresses.

the funny about about spoofing the source address is that you will never see
the data come back to you, cause the source is spoofed, and cause the source
is technically "nonroutable". so if someone was scanning you, then it would
have to be from somewhere in your ISP, and your ISP would have to route
192.168.XXX.XXX internally, and they could hunt down the offender and make
him stop.

the 169.254.XXX.XXX is the ip address windows gives a DHCP client that
hasn't gotten an ip address from a DHCP server; again, a nonroutable IP
address.

I don't really think that theses are DOS attempts becuase there are so few
of them, and I don't think that they're scans targeted towards you, because
there would be no way for the data to get back to the scanner.

I really doubt that they are decoy scans from nmap, because the whole point
of using the decoy option in nmap is to obfuscate the IP address that is
actually scanning you by making it appear that the scan is coming from many
different hosts.

block these addresses from coming in your little router:
10.0.0.0/8
127.0.0.0/8
172.16.0.0/12
169.254.0.0/16
192.168.0.0/16
224.0.0.0/8

to be a good neighbor you should also block all that stuff from going out of
your router, too :) but you have such a small network that I wouldn't really
worry about it.

billy