[Dshield] A perplexing question

John Kimbler kimblerj at naples.navy.mil
Wed Mar 14 11:13:52 GMT 2001

I'd like to use a Packet Shaper to modify the MTU size of the packets that
are sent and received by the clients on my network. My question is this:
Does a Gauntlet (or any) firewall change the MTU values that are negotiated
when a client behind a firewall connects to a destination that is on the
untrusted network (like www.yahoo.com, for example)? Or are the MTU values
negotiated from client to server and maintained, the firewall just acts as a
NAT server and only changes IP addresses? Thanks in advance to all who
respond. Please, if possible, include a url that I can reference for the
answer.

Dalantech

www.dalantech.com