[Dshield] Re: ICMP destination unreachable

security@admin.fulgan.com security at admin.fulgan.com
Wed Nov 7 13:23:32 GMT 2001

MR> Not to be a bother but I read somewhere that 192.x.x.x was used in europe. And
MR> that I think it is since I surfed on sites starting with 192 it is in use, I am
MR> from europe. I cannot produce any sites on top of my head however (I like using
MR> DNS ;-). IF this range is assigned to europe then it is not covered by IANA but
MR> by RIPE. (whois.ripe.net I believe). I cannot whois from this place but if
MR> someone could it may give you an answer.

Here is what I got from a recursive WhoIs query:

C:\bin>ipchk 192.0.0.1
% This is the RIPE Whois server.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
% Please visit http://www.ripe.net/rpsl for more information.
% Rights restricted by copyright.
% See http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/pub-services/db/copyright.html

inetnum:      0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255
netname:      IANA-BLK
descr:        The whole IPv4 address space
country:      NL
admin-c:      IANA1-RIPE
tech-c:       IANA1-RIPE
status:       ALLOCATED UNSPECIFIED
remarks:      The country is really worldwide.
remarks:      This address space is assigned at various other places in
remarks:      the world and might therefore not be in the RIPE database.
mnt-by:       RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
mnt-lower:    RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
mnt-routes:   RIPE-NCC-NONE-MNT
changed:      bitbucket at ripe.net 20010529
source:       RIPE

After some intensive testing (i.e. trying a few addresses at random),
I was able to find several domain registered in the 192.* range. Her's
one:

Symbolics, Inc. (NETBLK-SYMBOLICS1)
   c/o Ropes & Gray (Attn C.I.
   Armistead)
   Boston, MA 02110-2624
   US

   Netname: SYMBOLICS1
   Netblock: 192.10.0.0 - 192.10.255.255

   Coordinator:
      Schmidt, David  (DS1781-ARIN)  dkschmidt at compuserve.com
      703-455-0430 (FAX) 703-440-0388

   Record last updated on 16-Apr-2001.
   Database last updated on 7-Nov-2001 03:07:45 EDT.

Good luck,
Stephane