[Dshield] Slightly OT

Jost Krieger Jost.Krieger+dshield at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Nov 29 14:46:04 GMT 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 01:55:35PM +0100, Graham Dodd wrote:

> I am going to setup virus scanning on the mail server (Linux), but I'm not
> sure about the pro's and con's of the two general options. I can setup an
> SMTP Store-Forward with a scan before forwarding, or modify Sendmail.cf to
> run a scan in "realtime" before delivering the mail.

> Any thoughts on the good or bad points of these 2 options ?

Been there, done that, ...

Positive for "real-time": You can refuse to take the mail instead of bouncing
it later.

Negative for "real-time": It can take a long time, and the sender might time
out. One important factor for us was that it took too long to check the mail
for our own online users who had to wait in their MUAs.

Jost
--
| Jost.Krieger+sig at ruhr-uni-bochum.de  Please help stamp out spam! |
| Postmaster, JAPH, resident answer machine          am RZ der RUB |