[Dshield] Countermeasures, was: Re: mass mailing worm

Jens Knoell jens at ing.twinwave.net
Mon Oct 1 16:41:21 GMT 2001

Essentially, that would only be a speed bump for such scripts. I tend to
agree though - there should be a default installation which only installs
minimal features. I mean, come on, how many people use scripts on their
local box. And webpages shouldn't have access to anything on your local
machine anyway - they should not even know what OS you use, even less be
able to script anything pertaining to your address book.

How hard would it be to drop all the unneeded crap (no scripts in the office
suite per default, no WSH, add a reasonable mechanism to disallow programs
certain actions) and make it an optional installation. Heck, even make it so
that if a program needs it, it has to ask the user to be allowed to use it.
They've gone to great lengths to create a sandbox for java. I don't see any
good reason not to use a sandbox for programs.

If there are enough speed bumps, it might deter the black hats for a while.

Question is: how does one tell a giant like M$ to change their stuff from
"hopelessly insecure" to "fortress - as long as the user doesn't change it"?

Jens