[Dshield] Off topic: IIS lockdown tool "did not disable extensions" incident

Jonathan G. Lampe jonathan at stdnet.com
Fri Oct 12 16:14:04 GMT 2001

This week I was involved in the setup of two Windows 2000 service pack 2
boxes with IIS 5.0.  To simplify the "hardening" procedure we decided to
use Microsoft's IIS lockdown tool to flip off extensions,etc.  We ran the
tool and it appeared to execute properly.  These are the options which were
selected from the wizard:
   - Custom
   - Disable all extensions EXCEPT (.asp/.asa)
   - Enable all extra hardening measures EXCEPT (extra prot on files to
keep web users from altering content)
   The program thought for a few seconds and informed the operator that the
program worked, but when I did a manual check of settings immediately
afterwards (and again after a reboot) I noticed that ALL extensions were
STILL enabled!!!

   We performed the same procedure on another box from the same
manufacturer with the same results.  Has anyone else out there also
encountered a situtation where the IIS lockdown tool didn't perform as
advertised?

- Jonathan Lampe, GCIA - Standard Networks, Inc - 608.227.6100 -
jonathan at stdnet.com

P.S. Both boxes were brand-new Dell 2500 rack-mounts with Windows 2000
Service Pack 2 preinstalled.  At the time we ran the IIS Lockdown Tool, the
only web site on each box was the default IIS web site.  It was this site
that I checked for file extensions, etc. after running the lockdown tool.