[Dshield] Off topic: IIS lockdown tool "did not disableextensions" incident

Mark givethistomark at crosswinds.net
Wed Oct 17 02:04:43 GMT 2001

"Jonathan G. Lampe" wrote:

> If you've ever dealt with Microsoft you know that "emailing PSS" isn't that
> easy.  You have to lay out some MORE cash before you can ask a
> question.  All I had was a simple question about a simple little "security"
> program which doesn't appear to do its job.  My immediate solution was to
> perform the actions the tools ought to have performed by hand.  I'm not
> willing to cough up a couple hundred bucks to help Microsoft do some
> debugging, but I was willing to donate a little of my valuable time to help
> them locate the problem.

Generally, Microsoft does not charge for support for bugs. You will have
to pay for a support incident to get through to an engineer. If the
problem is found to be a bug then you are entitled to a refund.
 Example: BUG: Word 2000 and Excel 2000 Display ASP Source When Using
MIME Type to Stream Data
 http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q266/2/63.ASP

"Jonathan G. Lampe" wrote:
> I think its best to finish this discussion offline.

I agree, but thought it's important to clarify MS paid support policy.

--
=====
For every intrusion, there is an equal and opposite protrusion
givethistomark at crosswinds.net