[Dshield] UDP packets dropped from DNS server

Jeffrey Pike jpike at gpl.org
Sat Oct 27 16:54:21 GMT 2001

> Port 53 is the DNS server.
>
> In most parts of the world, it's considered moderately rude to ask a
> question, then ignore the answer - which is what you're doing to that
> poor DNS server. You're sending queries, then blocking the answers.

Thank-you, John. To prevent the poor server's developing an
inferiority complex, shall I just open port 9318 on my firewall?
Or will I then compromise security? And, assuming that you are
a busy person, where shall I look to educate myself as to the
best solution so as to discontinue nagging you for answers?

Jeffrey Pike
Technical Services Librarian
Groton Public Library
Groton, MA