[Dshield] Decloaking for a question

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Fri Aug 2 09:02:32 GMT 2002

Richard:

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 07:26:33PM -0700, Richard Tengdin wrote:
> I am a retired Apollo Domain sysadmin and firewall jockey (Altavista &
> Checkpoint) who has been slaving as a Compaq/HP SAN engineer, and
> trying to get back to my Unix(ish) roots.  I am in the process of
> setting up a family web site and need some help selecting an OS for
> the server.

Unless you are absolutely adamant that you, yourself will be the
sysadmin for this "family web site" I would simply recommend that you
have a web site hosted somewhere.

What do you really want to do:

1) put up a web site, or

2) manage a server?

The two projects are almost mutually exclusive, really; there are only
24 hours in any day that I've ever seen.

You mentioned "easiest" and "securely" in the same sentence.

I would say: pick one, or the other.

As far as a hosting company, there are millions.

I use Feature Price (http://www.featureprice.com)

Not the cheapest, but IMHO this is not a area where you want "cheap".

- John
--
Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?

PGP key:     http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800  4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705