[Dshield] A Little Humor To Lighten Things Up

James C. Slora Jr. Jim.Slora at phra.com
Sat Aug 10 18:22:00 GMT 2002

Mark Rowlands ecrit Fri, 9 Aug 2002 23:28:03 +0200
> I dont know if this is generic but recently I have problems with both of
my
> isps, getting them to respond to anything without a using a cattleprod is
> proving problematic.
<snip>
> At both ISPs I used to able to talk to technically competent staff pretty
much
> strightaway, now I seem to have fight through two or three layers before I
> fond someone who doesnt immediately think of thongs when I say cisco.

Root for ISP bankruptcy ;-). I've been through this with two different
providers. Their response during high-growth periods got so bad I was about
to dump them. During a DOS caused by a Nimda infection on a net-neighboring
server farm that also used my ISP, a support rep at the ISP's contract call
center in Newfoundland told me that I should  download "WinKiller" and
attack the infected systems. When I declined this option, he told me that it
was actually the ISP's DNS servers attacking me and that he needed to get
off the phone to resolve the issue.

When they declared bankruptcy a few weeks later, their service improved so
dramatically that I kept them in spite of all of their press releases
stating that they only had X days of cash left, etc. Of course I always kept
a viable alternate connection as a backup.

On the other hand, another ISP got bought out after a couple of financially
shaky years of excellent service while in reorganization. Within a week of
the buyout I had service outages, latency problems, and a tech support staff
whose sole job it seemed was to keep me waiting at least a week to see if a
problem went away on its own.