[Dshield] wget http://feeds.dshield.org/block.txt ... failed: Host not found.

Bob Hillegas bobhillegas at houston.rr.com
Sat Aug 17 16:19:10 GMT 2002


When I cron your block.txt file with:
wget -Nr -nd http://feeds.dshield.org/block.txt

I usually get:

Resolving feeds.dshield.org... failed: Host not found

After doing some poking around with the host command, I find an interesting 
mismatch of information regarding you nameservers. Resolving feeds.dshield.org 
using A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET (192.5.6.30), I get:

Trying "feeds.dshield.org"
Using domain server:
Name: 192.5.6.30
Address: 192.5.6.30#53
Aliases: 

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 16520
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;feeds.dshield.org.		IN	ANY

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
dshield.org.		172800	IN	NS	ICEMAN.dshield.org.
dshield.org.		172800	IN	NS	NS1.HOMEPC.org.
dshield.org.		172800	IN	NS	NS2.HOMEPC.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ICEMAN.dshield.org.	172800	IN	A	65.173.218.103
NS1.HOMEPC.org.		172800	IN	A	66.129.1.102
NS2.HOMEPC.org.		172800	IN	A	168.103.43.50

Received 147 bytes from 192.5.6.30#53 in 60 ms

When I resolve feeds.dshield.org using NS1.HOMEPC.org (66.129.1.102), I get:

Trying "feeds.dshield.org"
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

When I resolve feeds.dshield.org using NS2.HOMEPC.org (168.103.43.50), I get:

Trying "feeds.dshield.org"
Using domain server:
Name: 168.103.43.50
Address: 168.103.43.50#53
Aliases: 

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 15994
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;feeds.dshield.org.		IN	ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
feeds.dshield.org.	60	IN	CNAME	www1.dshield.org.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
dshield.org.		60	IN	NS	ns2.giac.net.
dshield.org.		60	IN	NS	ns2.homepc.org.
dshield.org.		60	IN	NS	ns1.homepc.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.homepc.org.		100	IN	A	66.129.1.102
ns2.giac.net.		3600	IN	A	63.100.47.43
ns2.homepc.org.		100	IN	A	168.103.43.50

Received 171 bytes from 168.103.43.50#53 in 136 ms

Trying the nameserver that shows up here, ns2.giac.net (63.100.47.43), I get:

Trying "feeds.dshield.org"
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached


PS. In verifying my results, I find that some nameservers give results and then
go "no servers could be reached". Some one should look into name resolution for
the site and get it consistent, and hopefully more responsive.

Of all the mentioned nameservers, ICEMAN.dshield.org appears to be the most 
reliable.

Thanks, BobH

-- 
----------------------------------
Bob Hillegas
bobhillegas at houston.rr.com








More information about the list mailing list