[Dshield] Honeypots for XP

Talisker offthecuff at lineone.net
Wed Aug 21 11:32:12 GMT 2002

Andy

> Hello, I`m quite new to this list and I`d like to ask a question if I may.
> Are there any of these "Honeypot" programs  (like LaBrea) that will run on
> Windows XP ?

Whilst not identical to LaBrea Tarpit the Specter Honeypot runs on XP
http://www.specter.com/default50.htm

I also have some salient details on a load of others at
http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/honeypots.htm but I don't know whether any
of the other windoze honeypots run on XP:  the others include
BackOfficer Friendly
Deception Toolkit
Mantrap
Spectre
Bigeye
HoneyD
NetFacade
Tiny Honeypot
LaBrea Tarpit
Smoke Detector

If you know of anymore please let me know,

There is also a SecurityFocus / Symantec mailing list dedicated to Honeypots
which may be of interest.
 honeypots-subscribe at securityfocus.com

IMHO one of the best places to go for Honeypot info is
http://www.honeynet.org/ with a good white paper at
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/virtual/

Hope this helps

take care