[Dshield] it totally figures

Johannes Ullrich jullrich at sans.org
Sat Aug 24 02:33:12 GMT 2002

> Argh.  Can you believe it?  You'd think with the economic downturn that
> the less than competent tech support folks would have found other lines
> of work (or no work).

Well, more and more broadband ISPs do recommend personal firewalls. Some
even offer discounts or provide a free one (which make a lot of sense if
they can standardize customers to use a particular program... easier to
support)

However, not all is right with the personal firewalls available
so far. Some of the messages are just too cryptic. A common
result is that after a while, people just get use to click
'permit' and end up with an open box after all. On the other
hand, I don't want to know how many confused firewall users
call tech support to have them explain some alert that just
popped up.

jullrich at sans.org             Collaborative Intrusion Detection
                                    join http://www.dshield.org