[Dshield] Proof of hacker. What do I do?

Thompson, John J ThompsonJJ at mail.medicine.uiowa.edu
Mon Aug 26 20:11:13 GMT 2002

1st a few decisions need to be made. Do you want to pursue and catch the
intruder or do you want to block them. Do you pull the net plug (safest) or
keep the machine running?

If you want to catch the intruder, then you need to install a sniffer to
dump all traffic from the intruder into a dump file that you make sure they
don't get to.

Then backtrace the connection. Try to go back as many hops as possible and
then contact the ISPs and ask for their help. The purpose here is trying to
id the intruder via the assistance of the ISP.

After you think you have sufficient evidence, then you will need to take the
machine down long enough to do a byte for byte backup of the hard drive to
use for forensic analysis and you will also need to plug the hole or
re-install the system and restore data from clean backups.

This response was very brief and lacked the details that you need to know.
Much more detail and good info available in SANS reading room under incident
response. www.sans.org.  A good consulting firm would be www.emagined.com

Good luck.