[Dshield] Incidents initiated from or attacks upon SC based systems (WAS: Re: South Carolina, Computer Crime, Bell South, and Related Frustrations...)

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Tue Aug 27 14:58:43 GMT 2002

I was kinda surprised by the responses and non-responses to my original post... I guess I put too much into my original message to get the feedback I expected. Therefore, please indulge me as I split the original discussion into two different messages. (This is part two.)

What I was really hoping to get from my original post was information regarding attacks initiated from systems that appeared to be based in South Carolina, information regarding attacks upon SC based systems, and feedback regarding the responsiveness of ISPs serving SC (especially Bell South) to network security incidents. I received no response to any of these issues in my original posting.

Does this mean that I am the only subscriber to this list that has systems in South Carolina? I find that hard to believe! (If you have systems in SC, please at least let me know that I am not alone on this list!)

To recap the original post, we are trying to determine how many network security incidents (port scans, attacks, breaches, etc.) are associated with SC based systems and ISPs. Specifically, we are interested in collecting data regarding:

1) The number of "attacks" initiated against SC based systems. (Anyone out there have systems in SC?)

2) The number of "attacks" that appear to originate from SC based systems. (Other than wanadoo.fr, from where do your port scans originate? Any from SC?)

3) Attacks originating from Bell South customers.

4) Attacks originating from customers of other ISPs that serve SC.

If you have any information that may be relevant to the above 4 categories, please send me a "heads-up" email at: secrpt at aset.com

Thanks for your time and indulgence.

Sincerely,
Jon R. Kibler
Systems Architect/Chief Technical Officer
Jon.Kibler at aset.com

Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
389 Johnnie Dodds Blvd., Suite 205
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464-2969  (Charleston)
USA

Phone:  (843) 849-8214
Fax:    (843) 849-8215