[Dshield] SC Comp Crime Law (WAS: Re: South Carolina, Computer Crime, Bell South, and Related Frustrations...)

Ed Truitt ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Tue Aug 27 23:56:42 GMT 2002

Well, a couple of things, from my perspective:

1) If it is MY system, and I don't do anything to indicate you are not
welcome, then simply accessing the system should not be a crime.  This would
include the use of an open SMTP relay (there are some folks who choose to
make their SMTP servers an open relay - I think it is pretty stupid, but
YMMV.)  There are better, technical controls for such behavior (RBL the
suckers).  Most ISPs also prohibit using open relays in their TOS/AUP.  If I
DO do something to indicate you are not welcome (those silly "Legal
Notices", AUPs, etc. come to mind), then I (as the system owner) should be
able to nail a trespasser's skin to the wall. (Also, remember that making
"unauthorized use" of an open SMTP server a criminal act would effectively
prevent testing for open relay conditions, like what happened to ORBZ.)

2) Port scans etc. should NOT be make illegal.  It is far too easy to deal
with those in a "technical" manner.  Besides, who should have the right to
do a portscan?  Me, on a netblock I pay my ISP for?  My ISP?  A
state/federal agency, conducting research or constructing a "map"?

3) Limit the scope of the law.  If you are aiming it at people in SC who are
doing bad things, then scope it to include them, and scope it to EXCLUDE
people who are doing bad things, but who aren't in SC.  There is a question
(in this layman's mind, at least) that says if I am being prosecuted for a
crime in SC, then I should have COMMITTED the offense in SC (or in whatever
jurisdiction it is being prosecuted in).  In non-IT terms:  The speed limit
in Houston on the freeways is 55 MPH.  I am travelling down the road in
Sugar Land (a separate city) doing 60.  A Houston PD officer pulls me over,
and cites me for violating Houston's speed limits, because (in this
hypothetical example) the city of Houston passed a law that said that "if
any part of the trip is in Houston, then the entire trip is governed under
the laws of Houston".  Yep, pretty silly.  However, we have a lot of
computer-related laws like this - for instance, the person in California who
was prosecuted in Tennessee for violating their (TN) anti-porn laws with his
website - which was hosted in CA, but could be reached by someone in TN.  If
someone attacks a site in SC from a location outside of SC, then let the
attackee pursue it through the civil courts, or through the authorities in
the location where the attacker did the bad thing.

My bottom line:  the punishment for committing felonies is pretty severe.
It is also expensive for the taxpayers.  Make sure that they are getting
their moneys' worth.

Cheers,
Ed Truitt
http://www.etee2k.net