[Dshield] Unknown.level3.net:80 attempted to attack my husband's pc

Ed Truitt ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Thu Aug 29 11:55:46 GMT 2002

I am sorry, but I don't think this is "proof" of a hack attempt.  I checked
unknown.level3.net, and it is running an AkamaiGHost web server.  The
"proof" shows a connection to the HTTP (Web server) port (TCP 80).  You were
surfing the net.  I would expect such connections to take place.

I have never explicitly typed in an Akamai web server address, yet my Squid
logs show that I connect to their boxes all the time.  I suspect it has to
do with graphic images or other inline content from their systems being
present on web pages I do visit.  In this regard, your husband's suspicion
that it might be an "ad site" is a reasonable one.

If you really feel that you are being hacked by level3.net's servers, I
would contact their abuse desk (abuse @ level3.net).  They appear to be a
telecom and network provider on an international scale, so if one of their
corporate servers is infected they will want to know about it.  I have
reported problems to them before, and IIRC they are pretty responsive.

But, I'll say it again - this DOES NOT LOOK like a hack attempt to me, based
on the data presented.

Cheers,
Ed Truitt
http://www.etee2k.net