[Dshield] "Personal Firewalls" are mostly snake-oil

Jan Johansson janj+deshiled at wenf.org
Mon Jul 22 21:22:02 GMT 2002

After reading a long line of mails on pros and cons I feel that
the discussion is way of track.

The question I am looking for is "Why do I need a personal
firewall?".

Well "Humans are evil?". We are born friendly and turn evil with
age. It will take a long time to fix this but maybe when we get
warp drive?

Software is poorly written. YES, at the University where I work
the course in programming does not even dicuss why such things
as Code Red happens. I have started my part by bringing this
issue up but no one seems interested so far.

We have a couple of large software providers that produce such
bad code that they need wast amounts of upgrading, patches and
what not. This has to stop, there are groups that have proven
that bug free[1] code is also secure. I think it is time to
demand from these companies to take security serious.

[1] Free as in much less than normal.