[Dshield] "Personal Firewalls" are mostly snake-oil?

Russell Washington russ.washington at vaultsentry.com
Tue Jul 23 17:29:44 GMT 2002

In all honesty, I don't see how you can protect a laptop without some kind
of 'personal firewall-ish' device and be practical about it.  Even if I was
in possession of the tiniest NetScreen (which more or less fits in my
palmprint) there's no way I'd carry it around and expect to be able to build
my own personal ethernet topology everywhere I went.

So in the case of the roving user requiring protection, the "P.F." is
probably the best you're going to get, unless I'm missing something.