[Dshield] "Personal Firewalls" are mostly snake-oil?

Samantha Fetter sama at enteract.com
Wed Jul 24 03:06:24 GMT 2002

<snip all, since it's not needed for my comment>

I wasn't overly impressed with my personal experience with ZAPro.
There were connections getting through that shouldn't have been,
and ones being blocked that I had set to allow and it would *not*
let them through.
Unfortunately, I don't recall what all the traffic was in both
cases - I wish I'd written it down (hindsight 20/20 and all) for
this such purpose.

I switched to Sygate Personal Firewall and have been quite happy
with it.  No, it probably isn't the average Joe Shmoe user firewall,
though it's probably not too bad.  Having more firewall experience,
I don't think I can accurately gauge that.

It is, though, quite configurable.  You can define rules by IP addrs,
MAC addrs, subnets, etc.  Then select UDP/TCP (and specific ports),
IP type, ICMP (has a list of all the types so you can pick from them so
as for example to deny type 8 - echo requests and type 0 - echo reply,
but allow others such as type 3 - destination unreachable, etc) or ALL.

Anyhow, that's just a quick rundown.  (No, I don't work for Sygate, nor
am I affiliated with them in any way, etc, etc).

I've found this discussion intruiging and thought provoking.  Thanks
to those who have given their opinions.  I just thought I'd give my
$.02 to add to the bunch.

Cheers,
Samantha