[Dshield] "Personal Firewalls" are mostly snake-oil?

Peter Stendahl-Juvonen peter.stendahl-juvonen at welho.com
Wed Jul 24 12:26:14 GMT 2002

Mark,

Thank you for your response to my comment (excerpted by you further
below) to you writing the following [below]:

[Well I did a practical test .......  I installed Tiny Personal Firewall
on my
girlfriends win2k machine, explained what the options meant and why you
should use em. Now she aint dumb, but after a couple of days of
listening to
occasionally outraged howls I checked the configuration.....
essentially it
was "allow all from any to any". When I asked her why, she said "it was
just
too annoying having to decide from which machine to which and sometimes
you
had to allow any and sometimes not so it was just easier......."]

Please find my comment to your comment embedded in your posting (below).

Again, thank you in advance for kind and timely response.

Best Wishes,
Peter Stendahl-Juvonen