[Dshield] "Personal Firewalls" are mostly snake-oil?

Peter Stendahl-Juvonen peter.stendahl-juvonen at welho.com
Wed Jul 24 17:15:53 GMT 2002

Gene, et al.

I apology that I did not express myself clearly enough, if I raised a
question whether ZAPro is rule free or not.

In my experience I do not regard ZAPro as "rule free". Would you like to
expand on what "rule free" would mean in regard to ZAPro? What kind of
rules can not be set in your knowledge or experience?

I am a novice what comes to Internet protocols. Therefore I value the
following in ZAPro. The product (GUI + on-line help providing several
links to helpful and useful sources of information) helps the user in
what most of us seem to consider the most challenging: in promoting USER
EDUCATION/AWARENESS. The innovative product interface educates the user
gradually (but sometimes by big steps) by guiding the user in everyday
usage of the product and providing him/her with the information needed
to tailor the software firewall to meet the user's evolving requirements
for safe (i.e., less hazardous) connecting to the Internet.

It would appear - even though we no doubt fall into two different
categories: you as an expert and myself as an amateur - that we strive
to focus on things that promote same basics:

1) We both set (custom) rules for what we do not want to take place or
want to allow regarding traffic to and from the Internet to and from our
system.
2) We both use vulnerability analysis. My approach is modest: I use
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer by Shavlik Technologies on a
regular basis (plus additionally explicitly check for latest security
updates and Hotfixes using among other things Windows 2000 Professional
and Office XP Professional Product Update Web page applications + latest
security issues, vulnerability and patch information lists). I have
tried to use Microsoft Network Security Hotfix Checker (Hfnetchk.exe)
Tool also, but my understanding is that the current version does not
support the nationalized versions of W2K Pro. Besides to my
understanding the product is at least partially integrated into MBSA. I
log all but two things in system, application and security logs and of
course analyze that information.

3) As for [N]IDS - I plan to evaluate the product(s) that I have so far
found the most interesting from my viewpoint:

a) "PureSecure(tm)" and/or
b) "PureSecure(tm) Personal Edition for Unix and Windows" both from
Demarc Software at http://www.demarc.com/
c) WinPcap driver 2.3 (prerequisite to the above)
d) Snort Network IDS Engine

Downloads: "PureSecure Personal Edition for Unix and Windows" and
"PureSecure Professional Evaluation for Unix and Windows" at
http://www.demarc.com/downloads/puresecure/

[Related] Other Software Downloads (Snort Network IDS Engine + Snort
Network IDS Engine DB Patch, etc.) at
http://www.demarc.com/downloads/other/

4) I try to educate myself by glancing an eye over useful Web pages
(e.g. searchSecurity, TechRepublic, SANS Institute, The Center for
Internet Security (CIS), Wilders.org security advisors, Stratvantage
Consulting, Gibson Research Corporation, Sam Spade.org,  National Cyber
Secure Alliance, TechNet and Microsoft's other relevant Web pages).

5) We would also seem to share the same view that keeping up with
security is an ongoing process. What is done is unfortunately almost
always reactive from the collective viewpoint. Often a breach of
security is discovered by exploitation by malicious activity and only
then patched. From the individuals' viewpoint patching one's own system
before something has happened at the individual users installations it
can be interpreted as active (as it should be).

Everyone of course judges from one's own perspective. I do not consider
any of the input to this issue as wasting bandwidth. It would not leave
scale (left) for some real waste of bandwidth if such a thing exists.
However, I admire those blessed with the talent of pruning and an
excellent sense of humour.

Best,
Peter