[Dshield] "Personal Firewalls" are mostly snake-oil?

Gene Bradford geneb at columbus.rr.com
Wed Jul 24 13:23:24 GMT 2002

pre-suppossing a general knowledge of security, systems (as in one, ten or
thousands) and network administration (whether it be for a home network, a
corporate network or a government network) i do believe the statement made
below is in reference to the fact that there isn't *time* to take a slow
approach to security.  if you do, your system/network has been breached and
you're in trouble.  slow and sure might win the proverbial race, Peter, but
quick and alert wins this one.

i don't feel any of us have taken the viewpoint of anything other than home
user.  while some mention has been made of "clients" that was in reference to
personal opinions and not directly related to the discussion.

who among us has stated that we're "experts"?  i've read through this thread
and don't find one statement to that effect.  while i'm positive there are
quite a few in this group who can rightfully and justly claim this title,
they haven't.  please don't assume a negative thought pattern just because
someone or some group doesn't agree with your point of view.

as for Stephane's prefrence of FW; a statement was made and that was it.  "I
prefer...."  no one flamed on this.  Stephane also disavowed any relationship
with the publisher of said software.  that's something you haven't done nor
have you even addressed my half facitious comment concerning Zone Labs' pay
rate.  the intent of that question, if it must be explained to you, was to
point out that you're a walking advertisment for them.  ARE you employed by
them?  if so it would have been not only polite but honest of you to have
made an up front statement to that affect.  if you aren't then i offer my
apologies for this paragraph (and my congratulations for not being employed
by them as well.)

--gene