[Dshield] Hard to Read this List Sometimes

James C. Slora, Jr. Jim.Slora at phra.com
Fri Jul 26 12:08:45 GMT 2002

Mark Rowlands wrote Friday, July 26, 2002 7:49 AM:

> Whilst I agree that ALL mail should be text,  the assumption that we have
> significant number of mail clients that cannot render HTML is  faulty.

I did not say that they CAN'T render HTML.

> Here's my approach, you have the freedom to send me mail in whatever
format
> you like, I have the freedom not to read it.

This is my approach, too. I'm not anti-HTML at all, and I use HTML mail when
friendly formatting is useful.

The problem I was pointing out is that the list digest is sent in Plain
Text, and it faithfully quotes the original sender's message verbatim. Thus
even in an HTML-aware mail reader, the list digest displays all the original
HTML and XML of each message in all its gory detail.

A single-line reply to the list requires several pages of scrolling to read
the message and move on to the next one if the sender composes the message
in Word. Direct HTML is a little shorter, but still leaves more junk than
content.