[Dshield] Hard to Read this List Sometimes

Mark Rowlands mark.rowlands at minmail.net
Fri Jul 26 12:48:08 GMT 2002

On Fri July 26 2002 14:08, James C. Slora, Jr. wrote:
> Mark Rowlands wrote Friday, July 26, 2002 7:49 AM:
> > Whilst I agree that ALL mail should be text,  the assumption that we have
> > a significant number of mail clients that cannot render HTML is  faulty.

> I did not say that they CAN'T render HTML

I beg to differ:- from your original mail:-

> > >  2. There are a huge variety of people on this list, and they do not all
> > > use mail clients that render HTML.

> > Here's my approach, you have the freedom to send me mail in whatever
> >  format  you like, I have the freedom not to read it.

> This is my approach, too. I'm not anti-HTML at all, and I use HTML mail
> when friendly formatting is useful.

I am.

> The problem I was pointing out is that the list digest is sent in Plain
> Text, and it faithfully quotes the original sender's message verbatim. Thus
> even in an HTML-aware mail reader, the list digest displays all the
> original HTML and XML of each message in all its gory detail.

I see no reference to the digest from of list in your original mail.

> A single-line reply to the list requires several pages of scrolling to read
> the message and move on to the next one if the sender composes the message
> in Word. Direct HTML is a little shorter, but still leaves more junk than
> content.

You want people to change their behaviour in order to make your life easier.

Sadly people aren't like that.

Change your behaviour instead. Don't subscribe to digests.
send html mail > /dev/null, or  pipe it to an htmlstripper of some variety.

Your cholesterol levels will decrease and people will begin to find you even
more attractive ;-)