[Dshield] ad.uk.tangozebra

Peter Stendahl-Juvonen peter.stendahl-juvonen at welho.com
Wed Jul 31 15:15:52 GMT 2002

Keith, et al.

Could you please check if the following could be the cause or rather
explanation to of the phenomenon you're encountering.

1) On the page where your browser takes you when you launch it are there
Web site cookies that point at "ad.uk.tangozebra"?
2) If so, then by having "ad.uk.tangozebra" in the restricted or blocked
zone you ask your firewall not to allow connections to that address.
Hence your browser blocks IE from connecting to that particular DNS or
IP address.
3) Because of the "ad.uk.tangozebra hit ZAPro numerous times with scans
which ZA rejected. In view of the number of scans I put the entire ISP
space (Intellispace Inc) into ZA blocked zone." in your original post
"adware" might have been the number one suspect. Now I would say it was
coincidence or just indirectly related to the issue.
4) With the information you gave in your latest post (below) I would
suggest the explanation for the phenomenon is as described in point (2)
(above) providing your answer is "Yes" for point (1).
5) If the deduction would prove to be true, then there is in my opinion
nothing to worry about and you can remove "ad.uk.tangozebra" from the
blocked zone. Or change "ad.uk.tangozebra" to Internet zone giving the
same effect and having an option to block it quickly again if it would
be required for some reason (which is unlikely in my opinion).
6) Would be happy to know your final conclusion. Thanks in advance and
good luck.

Best Wishes,
Peter
-----

     "Everything must be taken seriously, nothing dramatically."
      Louis Adolphe Thiers (1797-1877); French statesman, historian

Of Keith Gainford