[Dshield] May be usefull, FYI

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Tue Jun 4 21:23:25 GMT 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 08:06:48PM +0200, Mark Rowlands wrote:
> [...]

<snip>

> John Sage posed the question:

<snip>

> Mark Turnauckas wrote:
> >  For those of us who may have forgotten, or never learned in the first
> >  place, could you please direct us to the appropriate FAQ?
> >
> >  Regards,
> >  Mark Turnauckas
>
> Well some of us have learned not to top post and to add "> "s
> I usually direct people to

OK; far out; let's wander off into a total digression.

What *is* the big deal against top posting?

I'm famous for doing it; AFAIK the objection seems to be the implication
that the reader has never read any part of the ongoing thread, and needs to
start from zero, right from the very top, in *every* single message...

Nuts, sez I.

Why do we have to wade through everything previously said to get to
the new information?

Second choice is adding new dialog inline; except in the case of the
most brief of messages, I very rarely ever add my post onto the
bottom.

There are some "rules" that have an actual functional effect; others
are more a matter of style.

As for the >'s, I let mutt take care of that...

- John
--
Warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures.