[Dshield] Email Headers

Micheal Patterson micheal at cancercare.net
Fri Jun 7 14:14:41 GMT 2002

To find the actual origin system of any email, check the info just above the
From: line.

From: "Wayne Beckham" <wbeckham at yahoo.com>
To: <list at dshield.org>

The "Received: from" field is the ip/host that actually connected to the
SMTP server listed in the "by" just below it. To find out which system sent
the message to your server, find the last "by" line near the bottom of the
header area. The headers are read from bottom to top.

The above headers are from the message that I'm responding to.
:)
--

Micheal Patterson
Network Administration