[Dshield] does blocking in .htaccess slow server down

Paul de Vrieze pauldv at cs.kun.nl
Fri Jun 14 19:54:39 GMT 2002

On Friday 14 June 2002 11:39, Frank Rizzo wrote:
> I'm blocking proxies by adding them to the .htaccess in the public_html
> dir.
>
> Will this slow the server down if I have 10 entries or a thousand entries
> in there?

Yes it will, as all the time all entries need to be parsed. Of course with a
iptables approach this is also true, but iptables is rather direct on the
kernel and should have a lower load. You could for example make a port
redirect to another SIMPLE webserver that only serves one page: ACCESS DENIED
with an explanation

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze