[Dshield] Stumped by 238.7.6.6

Jonathan G. Lampe jonathan at stdnet.com
Mon Jun 17 17:29:10 GMT 2002

>I have some idiot at 238.7.6.6 (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) which
>resolves to IANA which ends up at RIPE DBM, they (IANA) will do nothing to
>help

FYI, IANA employees have a tendency to send copies of emails like this
around with the one about the end user who thought the CD-ROM was a cupholder.

Personally, I'd use this incident to learn a little bit about the IPv4
space...I think you'll see the 238.7.6.6 address is a multicast address.  I
can't tell you what content uses it, but I'd start with your userbase (the
old "what's new here" tactic) first and then move to your upstream ISP
before bothering IANA.

- Jonathan Lampe, GCIA, GSNA
- jonathan at stdnet.com