[Dshield] Questions from list newbie

Mercy Mercymail at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 20 07:08:09 GMT 2002

Hi..

I'm new to this list, and I signed up for the fight back feature where I can send my zone alarm logs in.

Do I send the log as an attachment, or, just copy & paste into the email?

Also... it says to send relevant log excerpts.  I don't mean to sound stupid, but how do I know which ones are relevant (hacker related) and others are just background noise?

I also have a question about numerous hits on port 1214.  I know this port is used for Kazaa file sharing, but, I don't use Kazaa or Gnutella, audiogalaxy.... none of them.  I've also read something about if someone else on my ISP had my IP address and was using Kazaa before I signed on, I could get hits to this port.  But, I have DSL and it's almost always on.  Wouldn't my IP address remain the same for the duration of my connection?  Pardon my ignorance, but I'm trying to learn more about all of this :)

So... just currious as to what might be going on here.  Is there a vulnerability on 1214 if you're NOT running file sharing software?

I aprecieate any feedback.

Thanks a bunch,

Mercy