[Dshield] Is this normal?

Johannes Ullrich jullrich at sans.org
Sat Jun 22 16:44:31 GMT 2002

ICMP Time Exceeded is a fragmentation error.

If you send a very large packet to a site, it will be split up into
different 'fragments'. The receiver will have to reassemble these
fragments. In order to do this, the receiver has to store the fragments
until all of them have arrived. However, sometimes it happens that a
fragment gets lost, or that the connection is just very slow and it
takes very long for all fragments to arrive. In this case, the receiver
has to give up at one point, to free up the memory they set aside to
store the fragments. If this happens, the receiver will send a ICMP
message 'time exceeded' back to the sender to tell the sender that the
sender has to resend the packet.

The maximum time allowed depends on the operating system and is usually
configurable. These messages are sometimes used for 'maximum MTU
discovery'. The 'MTU' (Maximum transmission unit) is the maximum size of
a packet that can be transmitted without fragmentation. This size
depends on the physical transmission medium (dialup, ethernet,
sonet...). Because neither end exactly knows what media are used at
either site or at carriers in between, some test packets are send to
find the largest packet size that can be send without fragmentation.
Using this packet size will provide better performance.

jullrich at sans.org             Collaborative Intrusion Detection
                                    join http://www.dshield.org