[Dshield] Is this normal?

Ed Truitt ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Sun Jun 23 15:52:06 GMT 2002

Actually, if you are using Win98, and you have a powerful enough system, you
might want to look at a program called VMWare.  It allows you to run one OS
as a "guest" under another (for example, in your case Win98 as a guest under
Linux.)
This would allow you to use the better (IMHO) security features of Linux,
such as the kernel-level firewall (Netfilter/IPTABLES) (no MS-bashing
intended - remember, I am comparing Linux to Win98 here!)  Also, as VMWARE
supports the concept of a "virtual disk", if you manage to get your Win98
installation corrupted you can simply erase the file (which contains the
disk image) and restore from a previously backed-up version.

One caveat:  VMWare will allow you to run Win9x as a "guest" OS.  It runs on
WinNT 4.0, Win2K, WinXP, and Linux as the host OS.

I have used this at work (it is GREAT for a development environment), and am
getting ready to migrate my Win9X home box to this configuration, as well.

Regards,
-EdT.