Linux (was: RE: [Dshield] OT - to Antti - Is this normal?)

Lauro, John jlauro at umflint.edu
Tue Jun 25 03:26:21 GMT 2002

Most distributions come in .ISO images.  If you double click on it, it
should automatically launch your recording software if your computer
already supports it.  Most CD-RW drives come with software that
supports burning a CD from an ISO image.  (plain XP with no 3rd party
software might be an exception).  If that doesn't work, there is
probably a freeware one.  E-mail me off the list if you can't find
one, along with what software (if any) you have for your CD-RW drive.
(PS: Don't just drag the file.ISO onto the CD like you would other
files to save them...)

As to which distribution is the best...  Not sure I would say it's
Redhat.  However, Redhat is the one distribution most often supported
by 3rd parties.  That can be important if you want to install some non
open-source software you bought that is written for linux, and you
don't know linux well...  Most open-source software will compile and
build on any linux distribution without anything special.