Linux (was: RE: [Dshield] OT - to Antti - Is this normal?)

Antti Tolamo usenet at linux.tola.org
Tue Jun 25 09:51:48 GMT 2002

At 23:26 24.6.2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Most distributions come in .ISO images.  If you double click on it, it
>should automatically launch your recording software if your computer
>already supports it.  Most CD-RW drives come with software that
>supports burning a CD from an ISO image.  (plain XP with no 3rd party
>software might be an exception).  If that doesn't work, there is
>probably a freeware one.  E-mail me off the list if you can't find
>one, along with what software (if any) you have for your CD-RW drive.
>(PS: Don't just drag the file.ISO onto the CD like you would other
>files to save them...)
>
>As to which distribution is the best...  Not sure I would say it's
>Redhat.  However, Redhat is the one distribution most often supported
>by 3rd parties.  That can be important if you want to install some non
>open-source software you bought that is written for linux, and you
>don't know linux well...  Most open-source software will compile and
>build on any linux distribution without anything special.

I agree and depends on ones mileage too.

One subjective  view:

easiest to use for a newbie: Mandrake
most supported: Red Hat
best package management system  and best for internet servers : Debian
and SuSe which  goes somewhere between Red Hat and Mandrake with easiness
of use,
having it's own package and control system. Depends on taste likes  more
SuSe than other two.

I use myself Debian, and it isn't geared for newbie. It is however an
advantage too, since one has to know basics well .
What I like about Debian also is that I don't need to go to endless
upgrading of libraries linux uses.

Antti