[Dshield] OT - to Antti - Is this normal?

Clint Byrum cbyrum at spamaps.org
Tue Jun 25 16:13:11 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 08:22, Dave Goodrich wrote:
<snip>

> Boy you are new to Linux ;^) That sentance can start a long running thread
> in most lists. I have used RedHat, Slackware, FreeBSD, Solaris, Mac,
> Windows. Overall my favorite is FreeBSD, I have run it on

I think we need to make the point that FreeBSD and Solaris are most
decidedly not Linux. They are variants of Unix. Linux, by definition, is
not Unix, since its full name is GNU/Linux, and GNU stands for "GNU's
Not Unix."

> several laptops and servers/firewalls. I'm currently typing this on my
> trusty laptop running FreeBSD. I've successfully dual booted FreeBSD and
> Windows on several machines, including laptops. I'd be happy to help you
> get a Slackware or FreeBSD machine dual booted.

Another thing. I personally started my Linux doings on Slackware. I
loved it. I quickly, however, ran out of time to compile everything(this
was in the days of the mighty P100), and turned to RedHat. After the 6.0
debacle, I switched to Debian. Debian's "stable" distribution is
probably the easiest to keep "secure". Their security team releases
fixed packages as quick, or quicker, than many of the commercial
distributions of Linux. If they can ever get around to releasing Debian
3.0(woody), it will even be easy enough for most novice users to install
and run.

FreeBSD has a pretty good history concerning security. It is probably
just about as difficult to use as Slackware. In some ways it is easier,
because of the ports system.

If we're going to mention FreeBSD on a security focused mailing list, we
have to mention OpenBSD. This is a project that audits every line of
code in their core OS for security flaws. They have a very good track
record, though not perfect. If you're setting up a firewall or an
internet server, it is a great choice. It can be, however, fairly
difficult to use.

Oh dear I've rambled haven't I? I'll make my final point. All of these
OS's are going to offer you something Windows never will. Control.
Unfortunately, with control, comes power, and with power, comes danger.

:P