[Dshield] Klez

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Tue Jun 25 21:19:50 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 13:21, Stuart Whelan wrote:
> If I understand correctly it does not rewrite the reply-to header, if it
> exists.
>
> In every Klez I have received (which is only abot 5 in total) I have
> been able to sucessfully clean up the source machine or notify the user
> by looking at the reply-to header line.

That would be news to me.

The Return-Path: header *may* be usable, or Klez may have started
forging that, too. The only *reliably* way to find the infected machine
is the IP address in the Received: header. *No* worm will be able to
alter the IP information added to the headers by the SMTP server it's
sending the message to.

 Any time that PR dominates the information stream, you can't trust
 the information.
                                               - CRYPTO-GRAM 01/2002