[Dshield] Kornet.Net

Clint Byrum cbyrum at erp.com
Wed Mar 6 18:13:52 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 01:54, Colin Simons wrote:

> > I do not
> > believe Kornet is pro hacker's or pro spam it's just that
> > their arrogance
> > and lack of response has really started to piss a large
> > number of people
> > off. (If English is the issue spend a couple bucks and hire
> > someone that
> > speaks it!)
>
> Please don't overlook the difference of culture that is also present here.
> The admins receiving the abuse mail will be answerable to their manager. It
> is almost impossible for them to raise the issue with the manager without
> losing face ("we have a problem") or without the manager losing face ("Your
> management has led us to having a problem") Without the approval of the
> manager nothing will change, regardless of how "right" the cause might seem
> to western eyes.

If I understand this cultural difference completely, then it is much
*worse* for the manager to have to go to the subordinate and say "we
have a problem." In that case, I imagine employment would be terminated.

That said, maybe these admins just don't know what to do when given an
abuse report. I've never worked at an ISP, so I wouldn't know what to
do. Most likely the admins don't have the power to cancel accounts
without management approval. Or possibly they don't know how to secure
their own systems and people are sitting on their NOC LAN's sniffing
mail passwords. Of course, I'm just speculating.

Here's an idea... why don't we get a Kornet admin on the line. Anyone
know somebody who works there? It might be enlightening to find out how
things operate.