[Dshield] Kornet.Net

Dave Young dave at boldfish.com
Thu Mar 7 04:20:43 GMT 2002

just an additional analogy after my previous poor post.

lets look at the net as a combined effort to build an international
space station, it's basically what is happening and has been for years
now. So let's just say for instance that the Koreans are tasked with
designing and building all the o-rings needed for this station and each
country involved is tasked with something else (just like the real
international station). Unfortunately the o-rings are of poor quality
and are failing under high degrees of pressure (and just not to single
out Korea, please insert any country you like into building the rings).
With this, we have an obvious problem. Justifiably, the Koreans need to
fix these o-rings for the project to be successful.

here's the point I'd like to make: how Korea goes about fixing the
o-rings is *irrelevant*, they simply need to be fixed. If there is
cultural issues, technical issues, money issues, whatever, it doesn't
matter, they *just* need to fix the o-rings or not participate in the
space station, it is that simple. In fact, if that really happened, I
have a feeling that's how the community would react...  just fix it, we
don't care how you go about it.

so as far as I'm concerned, this hacking\spam thing isn't a cultural
issue at all. They are a part of the community and if they wish to
participate, they need to fulfill their part of the bargain or they just
don't participate. I don't think that should be changed for any country
no matter what their task, you come to task or you're out.

anyhoo, I'm not trying to argue with any of you, there are far more
intelligent people on this list than I, but I really feel this issue at
a high level is this simple. It's up to the Koreans to fix it. We
certainly can and should help, but it's still their ultimate
responsibility to fix the problem.

$.04  ;)

--Dave