[Dshield] Kornet.Net

Brian Burrington Brian.Burrington at LABONE.com
Thu Mar 7 16:10:49 GMT 2002

Well, it looks like a lot of people are jumping in on this one, and shucks,
I'd hate to be left out...

Dave, from a pragmatic/project management point of view, I agree with you.

However, I believe that the issue this thread was discussing is not the
securing of Korn.net and other overseas ISP networks, but instead, the
successful enlistment of the sys admin and support personel (at those
networks) to fix the problems.

I would hazard a guess that the SAs are more than competent to take care of
their networks, once they choose to.

So, what I'm saying is this: the discussion has been more along the lines of
inter-personal / cultural problem sovling and not actual network
troubleshooting.

I used to share a cube with an engineer whose daughter had a specific middle
school teacher who was causing a great many problems.  He had dealt with
this teacher on many occasions over several months, and his feelings for her
were rather strongly negative.  However, whenever he spoke with her on the
telephone to resolve the latest snafu, he was amazingly polite and
considerate, more so than I had ever seen him before or since.  One day
after he had hung up the phone, I asked him why he was so polite to the
teacher.  I'll never forget his reply, as it's been a useful lesson to me
ever since.  He said, "She is my daughter's teacher and I need her to do her
job."  His point was along the lines of the "catch more flies with sugar
than vinegar" cliche.

Anyway, I'm sure y'all are tired of this so I'll quit now.

Sincerely,

B.