[Dshield] Getting even.

Sue Young syoung at gcmlp.com
Fri Mar 8 22:23:05 GMT 2002

It's probably not a good idea, but it must be satisfying.

I've been using Trend's Emanager for Scanmail for spam filtering.  My
users were getting so disgusted by porn spam that this was by request.
I use both filtering by phrase and by routing domain.  There are enough
of what I call "honest" spammers that I can really reduce the amount
coming in by filtering domains that are dedicated to spamming.  The
"dishonest" spammers depend on open relays, so I filter by content to
get them.

Once I'm sure no legitimate traffic comes from a domain, I just have
the e-mail server automatically delete everything from the domain. It's
taken a lot of time the last few weeks, but now I spend very little time
with spam.

Of course, I'm not an ISP.  This only works for reasonably sized offices
whose users all hate spam.

Sue Young